Recruitment Interview Skills Training - 1 day in-house course
Course Pricing and Availability
This course is available as an in house group training course in the UK and worldwide. We can tailor the content to fit your specific needs.
Group training costs from £1,850 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates (international training price varies).
Please view our other popular open courses at venues in: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow, Central London, Bristol, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, Leeds, Nottingham and Dubai, UAE.
Please note all our training courses include three months additional FREE telephone coaching.
Course Timings: Start 09:00 - Finish 16:30. Lunch at 13:00, Tea Breaks at 11:00 and 15:00, giving you an opportunity to check emails and make calls.
6 trainer-led hours, additional 2-3 via post-course portal independent learning
About the Interview Skills Training Course
Recruitment interviews are very important because an organisation is only as good as the people who work in it.
Selection interviews are a specialised form of communication - they will enable your team to identify the best candidate for a particular post, and to avoid the perils of picking a wrong candidate.
These recruitment interviews are combination of your personal communication skills and our unique special step by step process.
Selection interview skills depends upon preparing the questions well in advance of the interview.
- If the recruitment interview is NOT well prepared, then it will be “messy” and you will NOT pick the best candidate.
- If the recruitment interview is well prepared, then it will be very successful and you will pick the best candidate.
Interview Skills Course Overview
This course will show you exactly how to prepare for a successful recruitment interview process.
Day One - Morning
- The benefits of selecting the right candidate
- The penalties of selecting the wrong candidate
- Identify the requirements of the role
- Identify the necessary attributes
- Make a model of the Perfect candidate
- Figure out the test questions in advance
Day One - Afternoon
- The Law tells you what you may NOT ask
- Apply the same test to every candidate fairly
- Communication skills
- Room set-up
- Keeping good notes
- Exercises to practice skills
The course was engaging and relevant to the company scenario. Strength and 'applicability' of content better on second day. The trainer had a clear presentation style. Relaxed and with a good humour.
Recruitment Interview Skills Training Course Content
Selection Interview Skills Training AM
Select the right candidate for a position
The advantages you gain by picking the right candidate.
Avoid the perils of picking the wrong candidate
What are the painful consequences you suffer if you pick the wrong candidate?
Figure out the exact requirements of the role
The first skill to master is that of analysis.
Analysis is the act of breaking things down to their component parts.
We need first to analyse the job role and break it into its component parts
Take a job role and break it down into its component parts.
Identify the necessary attributes
Next we need to identify the attributes, skills, knowledge, abilities and experience that would be necessary to fulfil the demands of the role.
Make a list of all the attributes needed.
Describe the attributes of a “Perfect candidate”
Build a model of an “Ideal candidate”.
Prepare in advance
Figure out the tests for those attributes in advance of the meeting,
Then ask yourself, what test, or question can we ask that will find out whether or not the candidate has the skills.
Ensure you keep within the law
There are certain types of questions that you must not ask.
You cannot discriminate on the basis of:
- Married or civil partnership
- Being pregnant or having children
- Race, colour or ethnic origin
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
Correct order and sequence
Figure out the correct order and sequence of the questions and agree a final format for the interview.
Asking the right questions
Apply (essentially) the same test to every candidate in the same way.
Training course content was focused AND relevant to the job I have. Delivered in a motivating way and with passion. Trainer's presentation was very well organised and flexible in the approach.
Recruitment Skills Training PM
Afternoon - Apply the tests to each candidate fairly
Each candidate should have a similar test, but tailored to the individual candidates’ personality and abilities.
Listen to the candidate
Listen for their key attributes.
Listen for their key weaknesses, if any.
Observe the candidate
Watch them and observe their reactions.
Look at their body language.
Be aware of any incongruent body language.
Set up the room correctly
The environment should be conducive to a good test.
- Enough space
- Freedom from distractions or interruption.
Keep good records
You need to keep good contemporaneous notes.
Role play examples
Test your skills with a role play example.
Final summary and action plans
Price for open training course
- Full day of quality training
- Tea, coffee and cakes
- Full colour course notes
- Written action plan
- Additional training material by means of monthly updates
- Access to the Post Course Portal
Plus 3 months free telephone coaching
To answer any on-going questions, you will also receive email and telephone support from your trainer after you have attended the course. Whilst you are implementing what you have learned we will be there to help you if you need us for advice, guidance and coaching.
After the course, how can you to keep the training-momentum going?
We understand that it is important to keep the momentum of the training going, in the weeks after the course. The ideas and methods that you learnt during the course need to be implemented, not just for the two weeks after the course, but for all time!
In order to make that happen, we will give you continued, on-going support after the training course has finished. The support comes in the form of the Post Course Portal.
The Post Course Portal is a web page that contains a review of all the course material, plus the following:
- Newsletters containing training blogs and articles, which will provide you with ongoing training and good ideas, whenever you need them.
- Fun questionnaires that are designed to tease out your strengths and weaknesses and then give you ideas as to how you might improve your performance.
- Decision matrices that will allow you to make decisions and prioritise tasks into the correct order.
- Summary diagrams and mind maps from the course.
- Conflict scripts that give you examples of how the conflict method can be used, in real life situations.
- Free eBook the effective leader manager.
Price for in house training course
In House Course: from £1,850 +VAT per day (international training price varies) for up to 20 delegates (download in-house prospectus)
Please call us on +44 020 3856 3008 to discuss your requirements for the in house training course.
If you want to know more about any Management Training Course or their suitability for you or a colleague call us on +44 020 3856 3008.