What is Assertiveness Skills Training?
Assertiveness is a way of communicating that allows you to make your points in a clear, confident manner, whilst avoiding two twin pitfalls of coming across as, "too pushy", on the one hand, and coming across as, "a push over", on the other hand.
Assertiveness is the "just right amount" of confidence without being pushy.
It is an important skill to master. This course will show you exactly how to master assertiveness.
Bespoke In House Training
This course is also available as an in house group training course in the UK and worldwide. We can tailor the content to fit your specific needs.
Would you like to contact us?
Group training costs from £1,850 +VAT (plus trainer's B&B) per day for up to 20 delegates
This course is currently only available as a bespoke in-house training course. Please view our other popular open courses at venues in: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow, Central London, Bristol, Nottingham and Glasgow, Scotland.
Please note all our training courses include three months additional FREE telephone coaching.
Course Timings: Start 09:00 - Finish 16:30. Lunch at 13:00, Tea Breaks at 11:00 and 15:00, giving you an opportunity to check emails and make calls.
Take our training needs analysis questionnaire to see if this course is suitable for you
Free Telephone Consultation service for buyers
If you are a manager who is trying to figure out how to take the results from your organisations staff appraisal and training needs, and turn them into a coherent set of training courses, that will meet these needs, in as efficient a manner as possible, then we can help you with our free service.
About the Course
On occasions, you need to be assertive: Not aggressive, not passive
However, some people find it difficult to achieve the right balance: Essentially there are three levels of communication
- Passive communication- when you are too easy going and too compliant- No good
- Aggressive communication- when you are threatening or offensive- No good
- Assertive communication- when you have the right balance between strength and flexibility
At work you need to be more assertive: NOT passive (too weak), NOT aggressive (too strong)
If you are having trouble getting the balance right, then you may need to come on the training.
Assertiveness Skills Training Objectives
This course will help you:
- To help you decide what goals you want to achieve and then be able to explain them
- To help you decide how you wish to be perceived and act accordingly
- To distinguish the language of criticism from the language of insults
- To be able to give constructive criticism to others in an assertive but professional way
- To know when to compromise, and when to stand firm
- To be assertive , how to use your body language and voice correctly
- To know when to give ground, and when not to.
Course content: Very relevant and thought-provoking on a business and personal level. The trainer's presentation: Good mix of listening and doing to reinforce learning.
Assertiveness Skills Course Content
Introduction: Outline of the course.
Assertiveness is an emotion. And all emotions are a product of your thinking.
In any situation how you feel about it will determine how you react, how you feel will change what you say and how you say it.
- If you feel weak and non-assertive, then you will act accordingly and gain poor results.
- If you feel confident and assertive, then you will act accordingly and gain good results.
Your thoughts become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
How to manage your thoughts and therefore how your mange your emotions so as to feel strong in the face of a difficult person.
What not to focus your mind on:
- Do not imagine yourself losing. Do not imagine failure. If you imagine these things, you will feel weak, beaten and defeated even before you start.
- Do not keep thinking about what has already gone wrong. No need to keep replaying the tapes of past encounters.
- Don’t worry too much about what the other person may be thinking about you. Don’t try to constantly mind read other people’s reactions to you. Too much self-consciousness will hamper your self confidence and will cause you to be too cautious.
Four ways to approach conflict situations:
- Rationally assertive: the proper method.
- Emotional and angry: the wrong method.
- Emotional and upset: another wrong method.
- Avoidance: another wrong method.
Learn the difference between “identity statements” and “behavioural statements”.
Learn the difference between “objective” and “subjective” language.
To be assertive you should use “behavioural statements” and “objective language”.
To be assertive you should not use, identity statements and subjective language.
The use of the “wrong box / right box” technique.
The difference between “reasons” and “excuses” and what policy you should have to each one
If the other person gives you reasons, then you should negotiate.
If the other person gives you excuses, then you should not negotiate.
The difference between the “future why” and the “historic why” question.
Don’t get bogged down talking for too long about the past.
Do take the conversation into the future. Talk about what you want to happen next.
Learn the magic phrase, “Instead of that, in future, would you please.... (Plus your affirmative request).”
The assertive use of body language
- Posture: How you should use your body posture
- Hand gestures: How you should use your hands and arm gestures
- Eye contact: How much eye contact you should use
The assertive use of voice tones
- Deeper tones: give you more authority.
- Louder tones: give you more confidence.
- Slower pace: give you more gravitas.
Notes on the proper use of praise and appreciation.
Praise is powerful: The proper use of praise to reinforce the change.
The absence of praise and appreciation is often the cause of bad feelings.
To get the best from others, you must praise and appreciate them for the behaviours you want to see repeated.
We will run four practice senarious and you will have the opportunity to practice using the methods.
Final summary and action planning.
The Training Method
The training method follows this general pattern - the training is very interactive and interesting:
- The trainer gives a clear explanation of the point in question with specific examples.
- Then, the delegates practice by doing an exercise with each other.
- The delegates practice by doing exercise with the trainer.
- All points are supported with full written notes to take away.
- Delegates are asked to write down an associated action, for each point made.
- (At the end of the day, we have about twenty such actions, from which the delegates choose six which are the most personally meaningful).
Note: we do not believe in placing people in any situation of embarrassment by demanding that they 'perform' in front of the whole group. So you can relax: come on this course and be at ease; ready to learn new skills!
Course Content: Very informative. Incredibly useful even for my situation. The course wasn't 'too corporate' with the target audience of just average businessmen etc. Trainer's Presentation: Very good. Clear with excellent examples. Tailored to course members, felt like I could relate to most of the content.
Price for open training course
Contact us for open course training availability. Open Course cost includes:
- Full days quality training
- Tea, coffee and cakes
- Full colour course notes
- Written action plan
- Access to the Post Course Portal:
- Audio download of 'The Effective Leader Manager' programme
- Free eBook 'The Effective Leader Manager'
- Free training needs analysis, with personalised development action plan based upon results
Plus 3 months free telephone coaching
To answer any on-going questions, you will also receive email and telephone support from your trainer after you have attended the course. Whilst you are implementing what you have learned we will be there to help you if you need us for advice, guidance and coaching.
Price for in house training course
In House Course: from £1,850 +VAT (plus trainer's B&B) per day for up to 20 delegates
Please call us on +44 1452 856091 to discuss your requirements for the in house training course.
If you want to know more about any Management Training Course or their suitability for you or a colleague call us on +44 1452 856091.