Assertiveness Skills Training - 1 day course
Course Pricing and Availability
This course is available as an in house group training course in the UK and worldwide. We can tailor the content to fit your specific needs.
Group training costs from £1,850 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates (international training price varies).
Please view our other popular open courses at venues in: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow, Central London, Bristol, Leeds, Nottingham, Glasgow, Scotland and Dubai, UAE.
Please note all our training courses include three months additional FREE telephone coaching.
Course Timings: Start 09:00 - Finish 16:30. Lunch at 13:00, Tea Breaks at 11:00 and 15:00, giving you an opportunity to check emails and make calls.
About the Course
On occasions, you need to be assertive: Not aggressive, not passive.
However, some people find it difficult to achieve the right balance: Essentially there are three levels of communication.
- Passive communication- when you are too weak and too compliant - Not good
- Aggressive communication- when you are threatening or offensive- Not good
- Assertive communication- when you have the right balance between strength and flexibility
At work you need to be more assertive: NOT passive (too weak), NOT aggressive (too strong).
If you are having trouble getting the balance right, then you may need to come on the training.
Course content: Quality, adaptable and relevant to my business needs. Trainer's presentation: Alison was quality personified.
Day One - Morning
- How you feel emotionally, radically affects the results you get
- How to make yourself feel stronger
- How your “Self-talk” affects your feelings
- Communicate to yourself in assertive ways
- Communicate to others in assertive ways
- Use objective language not subjective language
Day One - Afternoon
- Verbalise your message using specific language
- Talk about what you want, not what you don’t want
- How to use humour to good effect
- Use your voice tones properly
- Use your body language to your advantage
- Action planning and close
Course content had a good variety of sources. A very comprehensive two days. The trainer managed to engage you in his content almost effortlessly, I never felt as though I was being lectured to.
Assertiveness Skills Course Content
Assertiveness Skills Course AM
Introduction: Outline of the course.
Assertiveness is an emotion. And all emotions are a product of your thinking.
In any situation how you feel about it will determine how you react, how you feel will change what you say and how you say it.
- If you feel weak and non-assertive, then you will act accordingly and gain poor results.
- If you feel confident and assertive, then you will act accordingly and gain good results.
Your thoughts become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
How to manage your thoughts and therefore how your manage your emotions so as to feel strong in the face of a difficult person.
What not to focus your mind on:
- Do not imagine yourself losing. Do not imagine failure. If you imagine these things, you will feel weak, beaten and defeated even before you start.
- Do not keep thinking about what has already gone wrong. No need to keep replaying the tapes of past encounters.
- Don’t worry too much about what the other person may be thinking about you. Don’t try to constantly mind read other people’s reactions to you. Too much self-consciousness will hamper your self confidence and will cause you to be too cautious.
Four ways to approach conflict situations:
- Rationally assertive: the proper method.
- Emotional and angry: the wrong method.
- Emotional and upset: another wrong method.
- Avoidance: another wrong method.
Learn the difference between “identity statements” and “behavioural statements”.
Learn the difference between “objective” and “subjective” language.
The course contained really useful stuff, especially the conflict and analysing leader/manager role. The trainer's presentation was clear, well timed and relevant. There was also chance for discussion.
Assertiveness Skills Course PM
To be assertive you should use “behavioural statements” and “objective language”.
To be assertive you should not use, identity statements and subjective language.
The use of the “wrong box / right box” technique.
The difference between “reasons” and “excuses” and what policy you should have to each one
If the other person gives you reasons, then you should negotiate.
If the other person gives you excuses, then you should not negotiate.
The difference between the “future why” and the “historic why” question.
Don’t get bogged down talking for too long about the past.
Do take the conversation into the future. Talk about what you want to happen next.
Learn the magic phrase, “Instead of that, in future, would you please.... (Plus your affirmative request).”
The assertive use of body language
- Posture: How you should use your body posture
- Hand gestures: How you should use your hands and arm gestures
- Eye contact: How much eye contact you should use
The assertive use of voice tones
- Deeper tones: give you more authority.
- Louder tones: give you more confidence.
- Slower pace: give you more gravitas.
Notes on the proper use of praise and appreciation.
Praise is powerful: The proper use of praise to reinforce the change.
The absence of praise and appreciation is often the cause of bad feelings.
To get the best from others, you must praise and appreciate them for the behaviours you want to see repeated.
We will run four practice scenarios and you will have the opportunity to practice using the methods.
Final summary and action planning.
The Training Method
The training method follows this general pattern - the training is very interactive and interesting:
- The trainer gives a clear explanation of the point in question with specific examples.
- Then, the delegates practice by doing an exercise with each other.
- The delegates practice by doing exercise with the trainer.
- All points are supported with full written notes to take away.
- Delegates are asked to write down an associated action, for each point made.
- (At the end of the day, we have about twenty such actions, from which the delegates choose six which are the most personally meaningful).
Note: we do not believe in placing people in any situation of embarrassment by demanding that they 'perform' in front of the whole group. So you can relax: come on this course and be at ease; ready to learn new skills!
Course Content: Very informative and professionally delivered. Would definitely recommend and would use again. Thank you. Trainer's Presentation: Excellent, clear and concise. Interesting and engaging.
Price for open training course
Contact us for open course training availability. Open Course cost includes:
- Full day of quality training
- Tea, coffee and cakes
- Full colour course notes
- Written action plan
- Additional training material by means of monthly updates
- Access to the Post Course Portal
- Plus 3 months free telephone coaching
- To answer any on-going questions, you will also receive email and telephone support from your trainer after you have attended the course. Whilst you are implementing what you have learned we will be there to help you if you need us for advice, guidance and coaching.
After the course, how can you to keep the training-momentum going?
We understand that it is important to keep the momentum of the training going, in the weeks after the course. The ideas and methods that you learnt during the course need to be implemented, not just for the two weeks after the course, but for all time!
In order to make that happen, we will give you continued, on-going support after the training course has finished. The support comes in the form of the Post Course Portal.
The Post Course Portal is a web page that contains a review of all the course material, plus the following:
- Newsletters containing training blogs and articles, which will provide you with ongoing training and good ideas, whenever you need them.
- Fun questionnaires that are designed to tease out your strengths and weaknesses and then give you ideas as to how you might improve your performance.
- Decision matrices that will allow you to make decisions and prioritise tasks into the correct order.
- Summary diagrams and mind maps from the course.
- Conflict scripts that give you examples of how the conflict method can be used, in real life situations.
- Free eBook the effective leader manager.
Free Telephone Consultation service for buyers
If you are a manager who is trying to figure out how to take the results from your organisations staff appraisal and training needs, and turn them into a coherent set of training courses, that will meet these needs, in as efficient a manner as possible, then we can help you with our free service.
Price for in house training course
In House Course: from £1,850 +VAT per day (international training price varies) for up to 20 delegates (download in-house prospectus)
Please call us on +44 20 3856 3008 to discuss your requirements for the in house training course.
If you want to know more about any Management Training Course or their suitability for you or a colleague call us on +44 20 3856 3008.