Conflict Management Training - 1 day course
At work, people disagree. And sometimes these disagreements can develop into arguments; creating a conflict situation.
Conflict management is a way of resolving conflict early, by means of skilled communication and negotiation. We need to know how to nip the problem in the bud; and how to defuse the situation before it gets out of hand.
Do you handle conflicts well? Or not? Some people are too pushy and say too much. Some people are too passive and don’t have the courage to say anything.
The best way forward for you is to develop a rational approach to all people and all problems. Use reason, as opposed to either a high-emotional approach or avoidance.
If you want to improve your abilities as a conflict manager, then you need to attend this extremely popular conflict course.
Bespoke In House Training
This course is also available as an in house group training course in the UK and worldwide. We can tailor the content to fit your specific needs.
Would you like to contact us?
Group training costs from £1,700 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates
Download in-house prospectus here
One Day open training course: £410 +VAT per delegate.
Our next open course is in 22 days, would you like to book online now or see more available dates?
We currently offer open courses in: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow, Central London, Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham and Glasgow, Scotland.
Please note all our training courses include three months additional FREE telephone coaching.
Course Timings: Start 09:00 - Finish 16:30. Lunch at 13:00, Tea Breaks at 11:00 and 15:00, giving you an opportunity to check emails and make calls.
Take our training needs analysis questionnaire to see if this course is suitable for you
About the Course
You work with your colleagues, customers, and suppliers. You do this by giving them the best products, services and information that you can.
Sometimes, people do the wrong things and you need to give them, what you might call, Negative feedback: or Constructive criticism. The problem is: most people don’t like giving criticisim: and they certainly don’t like receiving criticism.
So then, you find yourself stuck in a conflict situation. All conflict situations need to be handled carefully - therefore you need to have a good method for handling conflict situations. You need a rational approach to conflict management.
This one day Conflict management training is designed to demonstrate and teach correct conflict management principles: it is designed to help you to manage any conflict situation: It provides a reference point to enable you to deal with conflicts in a clear, rational, assertive, and non-aggressive manner.
Conflict Management Course Objectives
On this course, you will learn exactly how to handle conflict situations and difficult people. You will learn what to do:
- If you believe that the conflicts may sometimes be based on a miscommunication
- If you have to handle strong, confident characters that you find difficult to deal with
- If you have to handle moody, emotional characters that you also find difficult
- If you sometimes lose your temper and make the conflict situation worse - not better, by saying too much
- If you leave it and just hope the situation will resolve itself
- If you wait and wait and wait....and then let rip!
- If you sometimes say to yourself “I know what I mean but I can’t explain it”
- If you are unsure when it is right and when it is NOT right, to compromise
- If any of the above descriptions fit you, then the course will be a benefit.
Benefits of this conflict management course
- You will feel more confident during all conflict situations.
- You will get the best possible result from the situation with the minimum fuss, in the shortest possible time.
- You will avoid all the expense, perils and emotional turmoil of a badly managed conflict situation.
- You will feel happy to handle conflict situations involving even the most difficult people.
The course content was excellent; useful, insightful, practical. Answered questions raised. Chris’ presentation was very good, responsive, and knowledgeable. A variety of tools, models used throughout.
Conflict Management Course Content
Conflict Management Training - AM
Resolving conflicts that may be based on poor communication. The need to act from professional principles, not by your feelings or mood.
In order to manage people properly, don’t act according to your emotions and your mood. Instead act according to a proper method.
The need for clear communication.
The conflict may be based upon miscommunications caused by unclear communication. Conflict resolution requires clear language, and the accurate use of words.
How to define your meaning and avoid unnecessary miscommunication.
There are many words that cause conflict due to their multiple meanings. It is important to clarify often quoted but ill defined words. Examples:
- Fair – unfair.
- Attitude problem.
- Appropriate dress.
Remember that your conflict management skills boil down to your ability to get the words right!
Focus on what CAN BE DONE, not on what cannot be done.
Many people talk for too long about what cannot be done and why it cannot be done.
We need people to talk about what can be done and how it can be done.
Distinguish between legitimate criticism and cynicism - criticism is legitimate, cynicism is not.
How to distinguish between the legitimate complainer and the negative cynic.
How to improve your listening skills
Managing confrontational situations
Conflict is inevitable and could even be beneficial but ONLY IF it is managed according to correct conflict management principles. On this course, you will learn exactly how to handle conflict situations and difficult people.
Practical exercises for the delegates to learn skills
Conflict Management Training - PM
Four ways to approach conflict situations
- By using the principles of "Reason" - YES
- By getting angry and frustrated - No
- By getting upset and tearful - No
- By ignoring the situation and just hoping that it goes away - No
What are the principles of rational conflict management?
Method one: The quick method
- Your goal is to modify their behaviour - not win the argument
- "Nip it in the bud" technique
- Don’t use emotional language
- Use objective language
- Don’t attack their self-image. (ego or pride)
- Give them their clear way out of the conflict
- Ask them for a specific change in their behaviour.
- Distinguish reasons from excuses
- Positively reinforce any positive change in their behaviour
If face to face- then watch you own body language posture
- Eye contact
If working on the phone- then be aware of your own voice tone:
- Intensity of emotion
The need for praise and appreciation
The lack of appreciation may be the cause of a conflict situation
How and when to give praise and trigger a positive emotional response in the mind of the listener.
Practical exercises for the delegates to learn skills
Summary and action planning
The Training Method
The training method follows this general pattern - the training is very interactive and interesting:
- The trainer gives a clear explanation of the point in question with specific examples.
- Then, the delegates practice by doing an exercise with each other.
- The delegates practice by doing exercise with the trainer.
- All points are supported with full written notes to take away.
- Delegates are asked to write down an associated action, for each point made.
- (At the end of the day, we have about twenty such actions, from which the delegates choose six which are the most personally meaningful).
Note: we do not believe in placing people in any situation of embarrassment by demanding that they 'perform' in front of the whole group. So you can relax: come on this course and be at ease; ready to learn new skills!
Training course content: Excellent, made very specific to how we would use on a daily basis and improve attitude and performance. Trainer's presentation: Very good, interactive and enjoyable.
Price for open training course
You are able to book this course online today.
The open training course costs only £410 +VAT per delegate . For this price we provide:
- Full days quality training
- Tea, coffee and cakes
- Full colour course notes
- Written action plan
- Access to the Post Course Portal:
- Audio download of 'The Effective Leader Manager' programme
- Free eBook 'The Effective Leader Manager'
- Free training needs analysis, with personalised development action plan based upon results
Plus 3 months free telephone coaching
To answer any on-going questions, you will also receive email and telephone support from your trainer after you have attended the course. Whilst you are implementing what you have learned we will be there to help you if you need us for advice, guidance and coaching.
Price for in house training course
In House Course: from £1,700 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates (download in-house prospectus)
Please call us on +44 1452 856091 to discuss your requirements for the in house training course.
If you want to know more about any Management Training Course or their suitability for you or a colleague call us on +44 1452 856091.