Conflict Management Training - 1 day open course
Course Pricing and Availability
Also Available:- In House Training
This course is also available as a bespoke in house group training course in the UK and worldwide. We can tailor the content to fit your specific needs.
Would you like to contact us?
Group training costs from £1,850 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates (international training price varies).
In-house training proposal
One Day open training course: £435 +VAT per delegate.
Our next open course is tomorrow, ✔ there are still places available. Would you like to book online now or see all course dates?
We currently offer training courses in: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow, Central London, Oxford, Swindon, Bristol, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, Leeds, Nottingham, Southampton, Glasgow, Scotland, Dubai, UAE.
Please note all our training courses include three months additional FREE telephone coaching.
Course Timings: Start 09:00 - Finish 16:30. Lunch at 13:00, Tea Breaks at 11:00 and 15:00, giving you an opportunity to check emails and make calls.
6 trainer-led hours, additional 2-3 via post-course portal independent learning
About the Course
The CPD Certification Service have accredited the high quality of this course and that it confirms to the continuing professional development principles - read more.
Here is a sad truth: Conflict is inevitable. People disagree. People argue. Sometimes, there is conflict.
Conflict management is specialised training that is designed to help you to deal with those difficult, emotional conflict situations, in a more rational, calm and professional manner.
Do you handle conflicts well? Or not? Some people mishandle conflict by coming on too strong. Others are not strong enough. Some people run away and hide from all conflict situations.
The best way forward for you is to develop a rational approach to all people and all problems. Use reason, as opposed to either a high-emotional approach or avoidance.
If you want to improve your abilities as a conflict manager, then you need to attend this extremely popular conflict course.
This one day Conflict management training is designed to demonstrate and teach correct conflict management principles: it is designed to help you to manage any conflict situation: It provides a reference point to enable you to deal with conflicts in a clear, rational, assertive, and non-aggressive manner.
Conflict Management Course Objectives
On this course, you will learn exactly how to handle conflict situations and difficult people.
Benefits of this conflict management course
- Feel more confident during all conflict situations.
- Get the best possible result from the situation with the minimum fuss, in the shortest possible time.
- Avoid all the expense, perils and emotional turmoil of a badly managed conflict situation.
- Feel happy to handle conflict situations involving even the most difficult people.
You will learn what to do:
- If you believe that the conflicts may sometimes be based on a miscommunication
- If you have to handle strong, confident characters that you find difficult to deal with
- If you have to handle moody, emotional characters that you also find difficult
- If you sometimes lose your temper and make the conflict situation worse - not better, by saying too much
- If you leave it and just hope the situation will resolve itself
- If you wait and wait and wait....and then let rip!
- If you sometimes say to yourself “I know what I mean but I can’t explain it”
- If you are unsure when it is right and when it is NOT right, to compromise
- If any of the above descriptions fit you, then the course will be a benefit.
Training course content was excellent, very pertinent and relevant. I have had difficulties at work recently and I could relate the content to those issues and rather than avoid, I now have techniques to resolve conflict. The trainer was clear, concise and professional. The concise material was relevant and summarised well.
Conflict Management Course Content
Conflict Management Training - AM
In order to get the best from a conflict situation, you need to perfect your skills.
Conflicts can be one of two types.
- Conflicts based on poor communication. Conflict caused by misunderstandings.
- Conflicts based on poor behaviour. You think the other person’s behaviour is unreasonable or wrong.
This course is split into two halves:
AM is managing conflict based on poor communication.
PM is about managing conflict based on poor behaviour.
AM: managing conflict based on poor communication.
- Many conflicts are based on poor communication that later lead to misunderstandings. Then the Misunderstandings causes “wrong actions” and therefore conflict situations.
- Our goal is to minimise conflict by eliminating mis-communications and therefore eliminating confusions and errors.
- Specify your message and eliminate all chance of misunderstanding.
- Define all ambiguous or vague messages, so that there is only one possible interpretation.
- Use quantitative, numerical language, whenever possible.
- Define all your key terms, which are open to multiple interpretations, such as “Appropriate dress” or “Professional conduct”.
- Identify the time lines so that there is no confusion about dates and times.
- Make your language positive, friendly, assertive and exact.
- Give only positive instructions. They need to know what you want, not what you don’t want.
- Negative instructions such as “X is wrong” leaves open the question, “What is right?”
- The misuse of humour at work. Humour can be the cause of conflict.
- Use humour to help the team.
- Distinguish between “good humour” and “sarcastic comments” or the “the smiling assassin”.
- Distinguish between three types of person. The Optimists, The Critics and The Cynics.
- Beware unintended negative commands such as “Don’t panic!”
Practical exercises for the delegates to learn skills
Conflict Management Training - PM
There are four ways to approach conflict situations
- By getting angry and frustrated - No
- By getting upset and tearful - No
- By ignoring the situation and just hoping that it goes away - No
- By using the principles of 'rational conflict management' – Do this
What are the correct principles of rational conflict management?
- Use reason to resolve conflict not avoidance, nor high emotion.
- Distinguish between their personality and their behaviour.
- Never criticise their personality. Comment only on their behaviour.
- Distinguish between factual specific language and vague emotional opinionated language.
- When in conflict use only factual specific language.
- Prepare your message in advance.
- Make sure you get the time and place right.
- Figure out what the corrective action could be.
- Don’t argue about the past: you can't change the past.
- Argue about the future: you can change the future.
- Be very aware of your voice tones and body language.
- Never point your finger or your pen at anyone.
- Never shout. Instead, speak slowly and calmly.
- Never swear or make threats.
- Instead, make suggestions as to the way out of the conflict situation.
- Distinguish between reasons and excuses for not doing something.
- Don't give concessions to people who offer excuses.
- Give concessions to people who offer reasons.
- Give immediate recognition and praise for any positive move, on their part.
- Don’t linger. Leave as soon as you have gained an agreement.
- Keep control of your words, your tone, your body language and your emotions.
Five real life situations where you will learn by true examples.
Summary and action planning
The Training Method
The training method follows this general pattern - the training is very interactive and interesting:
- The trainer gives a clear explanation of the point in question with specific examples.
- Then, the delegates practice by doing an exercise with each other.
- The delegates practice by doing an exercise with the trainer.
- All points are supported with full written notes to take away.
- Delegates are asked to write down an associated action, for each point made.
(At the end of the day, we have about twenty such actions, from which the delegates choose six which are the most personally meaningful).
Note: we do not believe in placing people in any situation of embarrassment by demanding that they 'perform' in front of the whole group. So you can relax: come on this course and be at ease; ready to learn new skills!
A lot of content to go through but all useful. Interesting way of introducing action points. I will think about that. Liked the way conflict resolution started with clarity. Trainer's presentation was engaging and knowledgeable
Price for open training course
You are able to book this course online today.
The open training course costs only £435 +VAT per delegate . For this price we provide:
- Full day of quality training
- Tea, coffee and cakes
- Full colour course notes
- Written action plan
- Additional training material by means of monthly updates
- Access to the Post Course Portal
Plus 3 months free telephone coaching
To answer any on-going questions, you will also receive email and telephone support from your trainer after you have attended the course. Whilst you are implementing what you have learned we will be there to help you if you need us for advice, guidance and coaching.
After the course, how can you to keep the training-momentum going?
We understand that it is important to keep the momentum of the training going, in the weeks after the course. The ideas and methods that you learnt during the course need to be implemented, not just for the two weeks after the course, but for all time!
In order to make that happen, we will give you continued, on-going support after the training course has finished. The support comes in the form of the Post Course Portal.
The Post Course Portal is a web page that contains a review of all the course material, plus the following:
- Newsletters containing training blogs and articles, which will provide you with ongoing training and good ideas, whenever you need them.
- Fun questionnaires that are designed to tease out your strengths and weaknesses and then give you ideas as to how you might improve your performance.
- Decision matrices that will allow you to make decisions and prioritise tasks into the correct order.
- Summary diagrams and mind maps from the course.
- Conflict scripts that give you examples of how the conflict method can be used, in real life situations.
- Free eBook the effective leader manager.
Free Telephone Consultation service for buyers
If you are a manager who is trying to figure out how to take the results from your organisations staff appraisal and training needs, and turn them into a coherent set of training courses, that will meet these needs, in as efficient a manner as possible, then we can help you with our free service.
Price for in house training course
In House Course: from £1,850 +VAT per day (international training price varies) for up to 20 delegates (download in-house prospectus)
Please call us on +44 020 3856 3008 to discuss your requirements for the in house training course.
If you want to know more about any Management Training Course or their suitability for you or a colleague call us on +44 020 3856 3008.
Conflict Management Training Course Quiz
Conflict management training is important because sometimes, conflict is inevitable.
Sometimes, people are bound to disagree; and that is okay, provided the conflict is resolved quickly and without fuss.
But if the conflict degenerates into a highly charged, Battle of Wills, then conflict can be very costly indeed.
Conflict management training is about ensuring conflicts are managed quickly, professionally and with the minimum of negative emotions.
All conflict managers need specific skills to help them properly manage conflict situations.
Try this course quiz to discover where your conflict skills are strong, and where they are not so strong.
View this page on your computer to complete the quiz!