Communication Skills Training - 1 day course
Out of ten, how would you rate your communication skills?
Is there room for improvement in your powers to clearly communicate?
And therefore, would you like help to improve your powers of communication?
You could define your “Communication skills” as your ability to transfer your information, ideas and emotions from your mind, into the minds of others.
Some people cannot always find the right words to express their exact meaning, so if you think that you need help to express yourself with more confidence, then this course is right for you.
And in addition, this course would be especially right for you if you want help dealing with conflict situations, or with difficult people.This communication course will give you the exact methods you need to communicate with more clarity and confidence.
Bespoke In House Training
This course is also available as an in house group training course in the UK and worldwide. We can tailor the content to fit your specific needs.
Would you like to contact us?
Group training costs from £1,700 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates
One Day open training course: £410 +VAT per delegate.
Our next open course is in 8 days, would you like to book online now or see more available dates?
We currently offer open courses in: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow, Central London, Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham and Glasgow, Scotland.
Please note all our training courses include three months additional FREE telephone coaching.
Course Timings: Start 09:00 - Finish 16:30. Lunch at 13:00, Tea Breaks at 11:00 and 15:00, giving you an opportunity to check emails and make calls.
Take our training needs analysis questionnaire to see if this course is suitable for you
About the Course
Who should attend the course?
You should attend this communication skills training course, if you:
- Say to yourself "I know what I mean but I can’t explain it"
- Need to set clear goals and targets for others to achieve
- Need to be able to transfer information accurately
- Believe that problems are often caused by miscommunication
- Need to explain your exact meaning to others
- Need to handle difficult people and conflict
- Want more confidence in expressing your ideas
Benefits of the communication skills training course
The benefits of the communication skills course are:
- You will feel more confident to express your ideas and opinions.
- You will get the best possible results from interviews and important meetings of all kinds.
- You will avoid all the perils and costs of badly worded messages and mis-understandings.
- You will feel happier to handle situations where you need to criticise other people.
Course content: Lots to cover and much to take away and think about! The trainer's presentation was good and made use of real life situations.
Communication Skills Training Course Content
Clear Communication - To some degree, your future success depends upon your ability to communicate. You need to be more clear, accurate, convincing and confident.
You need to able to communicate the following:
- Your goals: You must be able to communicate what it is that you want.
- The exact meaning of your complex ideas: Some of your ideas are not easy to explain. You need to know how to explain yourself.
- Your plans for the future: You need to explain how you intend to achieve your goals.
- Your constructive criticism: You need to communicate with people properly, when you are in conflict with them.
- How you feel. You need to speak to people in positive, not negative ways.
- How to induce a positive mental attitude: You need to know how to inspire positive emotional responses in your listeners.
Communication Skills Course AM
How can you develop your communication skills in order to get the best from yourself and others?
You need to develop your communication skills in the following ways. You need to know:
- How to communicate your goals - Your goals need to be expressed in clear and unambiguous terms.
- How to use numbers to gain accuracy - You can gain clarity by using numbers. Using numbers is the easiest way to improve the quantitative nature of your language.
- The use (and misuse) of humour at work - Some people use humour in the wrong way. They use humour in destructive ways. We need to distinguish between the correct and the incorrect use of humour.
- How to explain your ideas - Some people have difficulty explaining their ideas, verbally. They cannot turn their mental images into language. You need to be able to translate your thoughts into clear, defined language. We will give you the method to do this.
- How to improve your listening skills (how to pick out the exact meaning of their message) - Listening is the art of picking out the important things and remembering them. We will show you how to improve your listening skills.
- How to handle a negative cynic - Sometimes criticism is a good thing. And sometimes criticism is a bad thing, it all depends how the message is worded. We will help you to distinguish between constructive criticism (the good thing) and cynicism, (the bad thing).
- The use of affirmative language - It is not enough to tell people what you won’t, or can’t do and why, (negative language). You must in addition tell people what you will do, can do. (Affirmative language).
Practical exercises for the delegates to learn skills
Communication Skills Course PM
When there is tension or conflict, then it is important to make your communication clear, accurate, assertive and non-emotional. We will discuss how to develop a rational approach to conflict management.
How to give assertive constructive criticism
- How to use a rational, not emotional approach to constructive criticism and conflict
- How to use factual language to criticise - Factual language is objective language.
- How to prepare your message in advance - Don’t just say anything. Plan your words carefully.
- How to formulate a solution to the problem or difficult situation - You need to figure out a solution that is rational under the circumstances, and therefore more likely to obtain an agreement.
- If the person says NO to your proposal, then you need to know how to distinguish "reasons" from "excuses" for not doing something.
- Know when to compromise (and when not to) - Compromise is sometimes the right thing to do, and sometimes it is the worst thing you could do. We will discuss when to compromise and when not to.
- The difference between assertive, aggressive and passive communication - You need to be assertive, not aggressive.
- Notes on body language and proper voice tone - You need to master your own posture, eye contact, facial expression and gestures. In addition, you must master your own voice volume, pitch and speed of delivery.
- The proper use of praise and appreciation - The absence of appreciation is the cause of many conflicts. We will discuss the need for effective praise and appreciation.
- How to maintain your self control and confidence -Don’t say just anything that comes into your mind. Think it through before you speak or before you react or before you write the email.
Practical exercises for the delegates to learn skills
Final Summary and Close
The Training Method
The training method follows this general pattern - the training is very interactive and interesting:
- The trainer gives a clear explanation of the point in question with specific examples.
- Then, the delegates practice by doing an exercise with each other.
- The delegates practice by doing exercise with the trainer.
- All points are supported with full written notes to take away.
- Delegates are asked to write down an associated action, for each point made.
- (At the end of the day, we have about twenty such actions, from which the delegates choose six which are the most personally meaningful).
Note: we do not believe in placing people in any situation of embarrassment by demanding that they 'perform' in front of the whole group. So you can relax: come on this course and be at ease; ready to learn new skills!
The content was absolutely as indicated in the overview and more. It has helped me crystalized my thoughts and understand how to be a better manager. The trainer's presentation: The presentation was particularly good in that Chris used his own experiences to relate the subject matter. This helped me apply the logic in a 'real life' situation.
Price for open training course
You are able to book this course online today.
The open training course costs only £410 +VAT per delegate . For this price we provide:
- Full days quality training
- Tea, coffee and cakes
- Full colour course notes
- Written action plan
- Access to the Post Course Portal:
- Audio download of 'The Effective Leader Manager' programme
- Free eBook 'The Effective Leader Manager'
- Free training needs analysis, with personalised development action plan based upon results
Plus 3 months free telephone coaching
To answer any on-going questions, you will also receive email and telephone support from your trainer after you have attended the course. Whilst you are implementing what you have learned we will be there to help you if you need us for advice, guidance and coaching.
Price for in house training course
In House Course: from £1,700 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates
Please call us on +44 1452 856091 to discuss your requirements for the in house training course.
If you want to know more about any Management Training Course or their suitability for you or a colleague call us on +44 1452 856091.