Communication Skills Training - 1 day open course
Course Pricing and Availability
Also Available:- In House Training
This course is also available as a bespoke in house group training course in the UK and worldwide. We can tailor the content to fit your specific needs.
Would you like to contact us?
Group training costs from £1,850 +VAT per day for up to 20 delegates (international training price varies).
In-house training proposal
One Day open training course: £435 +VAT per delegate.
Our next open course is in 8 days, ✔ there are still places available. Would you like to book online now or see all course dates?
We currently offer training courses in: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow, Central London, Oxford, Swindon, Bristol, Leeds, Nottingham, Southampton, Glasgow, Scotland, Dubai, UAE, Paris, Brussels and Berlin.
Please note all our training courses include three months additional FREE telephone coaching.
Course Timings: Start 09:00 - Finish 16:30. Lunch at 13:00, Tea Breaks at 11:00 and 15:00, giving you an opportunity to check emails and make calls.
6 trainer-led hours, additional 2-3 via post-course portal independent learning
About the Course
Out of ten, how would you rank your personal communication skills?
Would you agree that you could improve your communication skills?
And if you improved your communication skills, do you think you would benefit from that improvement?
Communication is the ability to transfer your ideas, information and emotions into the minds of others, without any errors.
Some people cannot always find the right words to express their exact meaning, so if you think that you need help to express yourself with more confidence, then this course is right for you.
In addition, if you want help with handling difficult people; or if you feel you need some help dealing with unpleasant situations, then this course is especially right for you.
This communication course will give you the exact methods you need to communicate with more clarity and confidence.
Who should attend the course?
You should attend this communication skills training course, if you:
- Say to yourself "I know what I mean but I can’t explain it"
- Need to set clear goals and targets for others to achieve
- Need to be able to transfer information accurately
- Believe that problems are often caused by miscommunication
- Need to explain your exact meaning to others
- Need to handle difficult people and conflict
- Want more confidence in expressing your ideas
Benefits of the communication skills training course
The benefits of the communication skills course are:
- You will feel more confident to express your ideas and opinions.
- You will get the best possible results from interviews and important meetings of all kinds.
- You will avoid all the perils and costs of badly worded messages and mis-understandings.
- You will feel happier to handle situations where you need to criticise other people.
Course content was very informative. Absolute common sense. Unfortunately common sense is not so common! Well worth it, would highly recommend. Trainer's presentation was very professional and full of examples and applied to true life scenarios.
After you have attended this popular Communication skills training, you will know precisely how to:
Day One - Morning
- Communicate your message with more clarity, and persuasion.
- Make your communications more specific.
- Use humour to your advantage.
- Communicate your own goals.
- Ask the right questions.
- Speak and write more accurately, by giving clear definitions.
- Speak in more optimistic terms.
- Avoid accidental "negative commands" such as, "Don't panic!"
Day One - Afternoon
- Give constructive, not destructive criticism.
- Find the solutions to problems.
- Handle difficult people with greater ease.
- Distinguish between "a fact" and "an opinion".
- Proper use of your body language.
- Proper use of your voice tones.
- Ensure that you always give praise and appreciation.
The course content was Excellent, thorough, informative, inspirational, enjoyable, practical and achievable. Personally I found the positive thinking elements less relevant, but I can see that it's helpful to recognise that can be an issue for others so it's definitely good to include. Trainer's Presentation was excellent, thorough and inspirational. I was particularly impressed with how he dealt with slightly off-topic contributions from some attendees and also those with slightly less developed language skills. Very demographic.
Communication Skills Training Course Content
Communication Skills Course AM
We need to know how to communicate in order to inspire the best performance from ourselves and others.
What are the characteristics of all good communicators?
All good communicators share the same three characteristics.
Good communicators are:
If you are a clear, convincing and positive communicator then, everyone will understand what you are saying, they will understand why you are saying it; and they will get a good feeling about it.
How can you gain a reputation for being a clear, convincing and positive communicator?
Here are the steps:
- Communicate your goals – You are defined by your goals. Your goals need to be expressed in clear and unambiguous terms.
- Use numbers to gain greater clarity - Using numbers is the easiest way to improve the clarity of your language. Numbers introduce exact times, exact quantities and more specific information.
- Use the EIGHT PART SMART model to give exact meaning to your message.
- Practice good humour. Remember that some people use humour in the wrong way. They use humour in destructive ways. We want to use humour only in fun and friendly ways. We need to distinguish between the incorrect and the correct use of humour.
- Explain your ideas - some people have difficulty explaining their ideas. They cannot translate their mental images into language. You need to be able to transform your thoughts into clear, specific language. We will give you the best way to do this.
- Improve your listening skills (how to pick out the exact meaning of their message). Listening is the art of picking out the most important things and gaining an exact understanding.
- Make the distinction between a negative cynic and a positive critic. Sometimes criticism is a good thing. It all depends how the message is worded. We will help you to distinguish between constructive criticism (the good thing) and cynicism, (the bad thing).
- Make the distinction between using negative language and positive language - It is not enough to tell people what you won’t, or can’t do, and why, (negative language). You must, in addition, tell people what you will do, can do, and how, (positive language).
- Give only positive instructions. Negative instructions cause confusion. Make sure the last thing they hear or read, is what you DO want.
Practical exercises for the delegates to learn skills
The course content was brilliant. Highlights a lot I can learn and focus on. The trainer's presentation was again brilliant, useful information and easy to understand.
Communication Skills Course PM
Conflict situations are inevitable. When there is tension or conflict, then it is important to make your communication clear, assertive and not too emotional.
How can you keep calm in conflict?
Here are the steps for clear, rational and positive communication in Conflict situations.
- Get the timing right.
- Give assertive, constructive criticism.
- Use a rational, not emotional approach to constructive criticism.
- Don’t use highly opinionated or judgemental language.
- Instead use factual, specific, non-emotionalised language.
- Try to take the heat out of the situation.
- Prepare your message in advance. Plan your words carefully.
- Formulate a solution to the problem or difficult situation. You need to figure out a solution that is rational under the circumstances, and therefore more likely to obtain an agreement.
- If the person says NO to your proposal, then you need to know how to distinguish "reasons" from "excuses" for not doing something.
- Know when to compromise (and when not to) - Compromise is sometimes the right thing to do, and sometimes it is the worst thing you could do. We will discuss when to compromise and when not to.
- The difference between assertive, aggressive and passive communication - You need to be assertive, not aggressive.
- Notes on body language and proper voice tone - You need to master your own posture, eye contact, facial expression and gestures. In addition, you must master your own voice volume, pitch and speed of delivery.
- The proper use of praise and appreciation - The absence of appreciation is the cause of many conflicts. We will discuss the need for effective praise and appreciation.
- Maintain your self-control and confidence.
Practical exercises for the delegates to learn skills
Final Summary and Close
The Training Method
The training method follows this general pattern - the training is very interactive and interesting:
- The trainer gives a clear explanation of the point in question with specific examples.
- Then, the delegates practice by doing an exercise with each other.
- The delegates practice by doing an exercise with the trainer.
- All points are supported with full written notes to take away.
- Delegates are asked to write down an associated action, for each point made.
(At the end of the day, we have about twenty such actions, from which the delegates choose six which are the most personally meaningful).
Note: we do not believe in placing people in any situation of embarrassment by demanding that they 'perform' in front of the whole group. So you can relax: come on this course and be at ease; ready to learn new skills!
The course was professionally presented and well paced, with materials that made the learning easier. Excellent! The trainer was professional and knowledgeable about the subject material. Responsive to questions and scenarios and also helpful.
Price for open training course
You are able to book this course online today.
The open training course costs only £435 +VAT per delegate . For this price we provide:
- Full day of quality training
- Tea, coffee and cakes
- Full colour course notes
- Written action plan
- Additional training material by means of monthly updates
- Access to the Post Course Portal
- Plus 3 months free telephone coaching
- To answer any on-going questions, you will also receive email and telephone support from your trainer after you have attended the course. Whilst you are implementing what you have learned we will be there to help you if you need us for advice, guidance and coaching.
After the course, how can you to keep the training-momentum going?
We understand that it is important to keep the momentum of the training going, in the weeks after the course. The ideas and methods that you learnt during the course need to be implemented, not just for the two weeks after the course, but for all time!
In order to make that happen, we will give you continued, on-going support after the training course has finished. The support comes in the form of the Post Course Portal.
The Post Course Portal is a web page that contains a review of all the course material, plus the following:
- Newsletters containing training blogs and articles, which will provide you with ongoing training and good ideas, whenever you need them.
- Fun questionnaires that are designed to tease out your strengths and weaknesses and then give you ideas as to how you might improve your performance.
- Decision matrices that will allow you to make decisions and prioritise tasks into the correct order.
- Summary diagrams and mind maps from the course.
- Conflict scripts that give you examples of how the conflict method can be used, in real life situations.
- Free eBook the effective leader manager.
Free Telephone Consultation service for buyers
If you are a manager who is trying to figure out how to take the results from your organisations staff appraisal and training needs, and turn them into a coherent set of training courses, that will meet these needs, in as efficient a manner as possible, then we can help you with our free service.
Price for in house training course
In House Course: from £1,850 +VAT per day (international training price varies) for up to 20 delegates (download in-house prospectus)
Please call us on +44 020 3856 3008 to discuss your requirements for the in house training course.
If you want to know more about any Management Training Course or their suitability for you or a colleague call us on +44 020 3856 3008.
Communication Skills Training Course Quiz
To succeed, you need to communicate clearly.
Try this quick quiz and discover where your communication skills are strong, and where they are not so strong.
View this page on your computer to complete the quiz!