Posted 04 January 2013 by Chris Farmer
Personal Development Courses
We offer both:
• Bespoke in-house training.These can be tailored to your specific needs.
• Open training courses at locations near you.
Better Leadership skills
It is important to develop better leadership skills.
If you developed better leadership skills then you would be able to make the whole team produce more in the same amount of time.
Because the efficiency of any organisation improves in direct ratio to the quality of the leadership that exists in that organisation.
Question: How can you develop better leadership skills in yourself or in others?
Answer: In order to develop better leadership skills take the following steps:
- Identify the four most fundamental distinguishing characteristics that together unite to make any person a "leader".
- Understand the meaning and practical implications of the four distinguishing leadership characteristics and how they would manifest themselves in daily actions.
- Commit to practicing the same four characteristics, under all circumstances, every day, even on the days and situations when you don't want to.
- Repeat and practice the application of the characteristics until they begin to be automatized by the subconscious mind and thus they begin to become part of your habitual patterns of thought, feeling and action; i.e. they become incorporated into your "character".
Question: What are the four most fundamental distinguishing characteristics that together unite to make any person a "leader"?
Answer: That is a good question. The answer is: it depends on the context.
For example: Leadership in the context of a catholic choir may be different to leadership in the context the R.A.F. Bomber Command. And both would be different to leadership in a hospital; which would be different to leadership in a small tyre fitting business in Birmingham.
Question: Are there not any universal leadership qualities that are present in all leaders irrespective of the specific context?
Answer: Yes there are universal leadership qualities; and here they are:
- Clear ambition: the ability to set a clear and distinct goal.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to create practical plans of action that are capable of achieving the ambition.
- The ability to inspire other people to act in the pursuit of the clear ambition.
Question: How do you measure up against these qualities?
Ask and answer the following four sets of questions; each set pertains to the four attributes of leadership:
- A person with a clear ambition
- Excellent communicator
- Practical planner
- An inspiration
1. A person with a clear ambition
To what degree do you have the ability to set for yourself and others a clear ambition: the ability to set a clear and distinct goal? Or are you going with the flow?
2. Excellent communicator
To what degree do you have excellent communication skills: are you skilled in terms of your ability to use English, in both the written and spoken form? How is your body language? How good are you at listening and absorbing new information?
3. Practical planner
To what degree do you have the ability to create practical plans of action that are capable of achieving the goals that you have set for yourself? Or are you beset by more problems than you can easily handle?
4. An inspiration
To what degree do you have the ability to inspire other people to act in the pursuit of the goals you have in mind. To what degree do you find it difficult to gain the cooperative help and effort of other people?
If you recognise that you need to develop your skills in any of these areas of leadership then you may need to attend our two day training programme the effective leader manager.
For more information about our leadership and management training visit the Corporate Coach Group website