Posted 22 November 2013 by Chris Farmer
Personal Development Courses
We offer both:
• Bespoke in-house training.These can be tailored to your specific needs.
• Open training courses at locations near you.
Is there a difference between a leader and a manager?
Yes. There is a difference.
What is the difference between a leader and a manager? Or, to put it another way, what is the meaning of the term, "leadership" and what is the meaning of the term, "management"?
The meaning of Leadership.
Leadership is the act of selecting a clear, distinct and valuable goal, and then inspiring other people to act to achieve the goal. Leadership therefore requires the ability to effectively communicate, so that people understand the goal and are motivated to act in accordance with it.
The meaning of management.
Management is the art of proper planning and efficient implementation of the plan.
Management is the act of organising, prioritising and preparing resources; arranging for all the actions necessary to achieve the goal, (which was set out by the leadership) to be taken, in the correct way, and in the correct order, so as to achieve the goal in the most efficient manner possible.
Leadership and management.
Some leaders are poor managers. They have ambitious goals and charisma; but they could not organise a Barbeque.
Some managers have no leadership qualities. They are great with information, data and computer systems, but they cannot handle people.
The ideal would be to become a leader-manager: a person who combines the qualities of leadership with the qualities of management. Such a person would tend to do well in whatever organisation he she worked.
What are the attributes of a leader-manager?
The leader manager is the person with the combined qualities of leadership and management.
They therefore have the following six major abilities, in abundance:
- The ability to set worthwhile and valuable long range goals.
- The ability to communicate the goals to others so that people want to get involved.
- The ability to build practical plans of action that will achieve the goal, in the most efficient manner possible.
- The ability to manage difficult people, or people whose performance drops below standard, or whose actions contradict the plan: the ability to handle conflict.
- The ability to manage oneself: meaning, the ability to develop self-confidence, self-motivation, courage, determination and optimism.
- The ability to inspire, in others, the same feelings; the ability to make other people feel more confident, more motivated, more determined and more optimistic.
These are the qualities of the leader manager.
- To what degree do you set long range goals?
- To what degree are you a motivational and clear communicator?
- To what degree are you a great planner?
- To what degree are you able to effectively handle conflict situations?
- To what degree are you able to create in your own soul, self-confidence, self-motivation, courage, determination and optimism?
- To what degree are you able to inspire in others the same feelings; more confidence, more motivation, more determination and more optimism?
Question: Do you need some help to develop any of these six leadership and management qualities?
If yes, then please attend our two day leadership and management training course, by following the link.
Would you like to attend our leader manager training course?