First time management training
A first time manager training course needs to give to your delegates a set of practical, specific techniques and methods that will enable them to successfully operate in their new role.
The first line manager must be given the right skills, knowledge and attitudes that will allow them to fill their role without too many problems or too much stress.
These specific skills knowledge and attitudes are as follows:
- The ability to set the right goals
- The ability to speak and write with clarity
- The ability to solve problems
- The ability to remain focused and feeling strong
- The ability to delegate
Here are notes on each one:
The ability to set the right goals
The organisation as a whole has goals: to achieve its production, sales and revenue targets.
Therefore the individual teams have subset-goals that should correlate with the organisational goals.
The first time manager must keep in mind these subset goals and never let the team "wander off topic".
If the team's activities are not directly related to achieving the goals, then they are, to that degree, wasting their time.
First time manager training: Goal focus is the good- a lack of goal focus is the bad.
The ability to speak and write with clarity
Clarity in communication is a management virtue.
A lack of clarity in communication is a management vice!
Miscommunications, misunderstandings and confusion cause the organisation to increase costs and decreases effectiveness.
Accurate communication, clear understandings and no confusion causes the organisation to increase effectiveness and decreases its costs.
Therefore: Clarity in communication is a management virtue.
What is Communication?
Communication is defined as "a transfer of information and emotion from one mind to another"
Note that communication is a two way process and can be done in words that are spoken OR written.
So there are many possible permutations:
Ideally you want your first time managers to be good at all of them:
- The clear communication of their information to another in writing
- The clear communication of their information to another in speech
- The clear communication of their emotion to another in writing
- The clear communication of their emotion to another in speech
- In the written form, accurately discovering the others information
- In the spoken form, accurately discovering the others information
- In the written form, to accurately discover the others emotions and feelings
- In the spoken form, to accurately discover the others emotions and feelings
Are your first time managers good at all eight?
The ability to solve problems
Life and business is about finding the solutions to the current crop of problems.
How can you best achieve your goals?
A systematic problem solving approach is an essential component of management.
How can you solve problems?
Whenever you face a problem, ask these eight questions, in the given sequence, and write down the answers.
a. What are the facts that I know?
b. What facts do I not know and need to discover?
c. Given the facts and the given situation, what is my best possible outcome, or goal?
d. To achieve the goal, what materials and things will I need?
e. To achieve the goal, whom could I call upon to help?
f. To achieve the goal, what skills or knowledge will I have to gain access to?
g. With all the above information in mind what is the basic plan of action?
h. What is the very first practical step to take?
First time managers must become proficient at finding the solutions to their current crop of problems.
They need to develop their problem solving methods.
The ability to remain focused and feeling strong
It is important for the first time manager to be able to manage his / her own emotions.
Too much emotionalism will cause them to fail.
- If they are too easily discouraged, then they will fail
- If they are too easily angered, then they will fail
- If they are too frightened, then they will fail
- If they are too cocky then, they will fail
- If they are too aggressive, then they will fail
Too much emotionalism will cause them to fail
It is important for the first time manager to be able to manufacture, to order, the correct amount of the right emotions:
The correct amount of the right emotions:
- Realistic optimism
How can one do this?
Direct and control the focus of your mind
Realise that; to the degree to which you allow your mind and conversation to dwell upon the "bad past events" you will feel:
- Loss of confidence
To the degree to which you allow your mind and conversation to be dominated by upon the "good past events" you may feel:
- A longing for "The good old days"
- Faint sense of loss and sadness for things past
To the degree to which you allow your mind and conversation to be filled with thoughts of a "bad future" you will feel:
- Loss of confidence
To the degree to which you allow your mind and conversation to be filled with "the good future" you will inspire:
The ability to delegate
What is Delegation?
Delegation: is the act of entrusting a task to another person.
Why should you delegate?
There are good five good reasons to delegate some of your work to others:
- To give you more time for to do higher value work.
- The person you delegate to may be the best person for the job.
- Delegating tasks evens the lead across the team.
- Delegating tasks may be seen as a form of training
- Delegating tasks may be seen as a motivating factor as it shows trust.
How to delegate:
If you are going to delegate a task, you owe it to the other to be clear.
You can use SMART target model to help you.
SMART delegating looks like this: Each letter in SMART stands for a characteristic.
When delegating be SPECIFIC, not vague.
Try to express the task in numerical values
When delegating tell the person exactly how they will be MEASURED
When delegating, ensure the task is ACHIEVABLE: does the person have all the relevant skills?
When delegating ensure that the task is REALISTIC
Ask yourself "Does context allow this to be done?"
When delegating ensure that the task is given a DEADLINE
Tell the person by when the task should be completed.
Delegate all the lower value items on your to do list, for the right reason only, using SMART.
If you want help on any of these aspects of first time management training please do come on the course.